Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Socks and Shout Outs

First - some shout outs

A huge thank you to Marly Bird from the Yarn Thing Podcast.  She was nice enough to promote my Raspberry Cowl pattern on her blogtalk radio show yesterday. I remember Marly when she first started podcasting back in 2007.  Since then she has become a well respected knit and crochet designer with her patterns published in books and magazines, teaches at venues such as TNNA, and is the Creative Director for Bijou Basin Ranch Yarns.  To have her admire my spinning and mention my pattern and blog was such a tremendous compliment.  Give a listen to the podcast when you get a chance.

Another designer I have known for years and is accomplishing great things is Gina House.  Again, we met over the internet via podcast and she amazes me how far she has become as a designer.  We have gotten to know each other and meet up when she comes to RI or I go to NH.  Her second book,  Wonderlace, is due out soon.  She also has her own App now.  How cool is that?  Besides being able to see what Gina is up to, it has several free patterns on it.  The app itself - is FREE.  How can you beat that?  I love it!

Onto some socks. 

OK - I need some opinions here.  I knit my socks one at a time, cuff down, on circulars.  I turn my heel, pick up the gusset stitches and off I go almost without thinking anymore.  For the first time I have an issue. 
Are we seeing this?

Excuse poor Iphone photo.  Hubby has the camera.  The colors flow so nicely then all of a sudden - BAM.  A big black spot.  It looks so out of place.....

So I'm thinking I'm going to rip it back and perhaps do an afterthought heel.  What do you do for your heels? 

4 comments:

Carole Knits said...

I'm sorry but I can't tell what's wrong from the photos. I do a traditional heel flap and gusset and haven't had a problem with that - so far, anyway.

Gina House said...

Donna, thank you SOO much for your shout out! Really hope we can see each other again soon (maybe when I do a trunk show in RI??) Lots of hugs (and love the new style of your blog!) Gina :) xoxo

calicokitty6 said...

I would do the afterthought heel. I've got some self striping yarn heading my way and I plan to do my first one soon.

If you want to be brave, here's a link to do a real afterthought heel without waste yarn.

http://proverbialknitter.com/2011/11/26/tutorial-series-short-row-afterthought-heel/

Heather said...

I actually like the black spot...although I am assuming the problem is that the second sock won't match? I am all about mismatched things though, especially with knitting. I think it gives character :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails