Friday, October 16, 2009

Wash, Card, Spin

This past spring I went to NH Sheep and Wool with one goal in mind. To get a Jacob Fleece. I love the different colors and I was told that this was the place to get the best fleece. Now if I was a real good blogger I would have the name of the booth, but of course I don't. For those who go to NH, just know that it's the lady towards the back of the festival in the stalls. She is on the corner and she has the most amazing Jacob fleeces you will ever see. I didn't want to get a huge fleece because, unlike the alpaca I bought, I had planned to process this one myself. I wanted to seperate the colors, wash and card it. So I got started this past weekend. Although dirty, you get the idea...



I love it. I got about 2/3 of it washed. After listening to Megan at Stitch It Podcast (you do listen to Megan's podcast, don't you? If not, I highly suggest it. She is a wealth of information on spinning amongst many other things) I realized that if I didn't get my butt in gear that I would have a hard time drying that fleece outside in the cold! Well the joke was on me because it already got damn cold here! Thank goodness for this;


It helps immensely with the drying process. And yeah, it's helping to keep this house warm because I'll be damned if I am turning my heat on in OCTOBER! After it dryed I started carding


They came out like puffy soft pillows. I am anxious to see how the other colors come out. I hate carding so it's going to be a long process.

Rhinebeck is this weekend and yes, we are making the one day kamikaze trip again. I am majorly bummed about the weather forecast but I am hoping it will change. We are going on Sunday so I hope the rain/snow passes by then. Not looking too good. For all who are going, I hope to see you there. It's great how many blog friends I am meeting up with. Have a great weekend, however you are spending it!

1 comment:

Caroline in NH said...

I believe the Jacob fleece you got was from Kisakanari Farm Jacobs - also mentioned on one of the Wool Arts Tour pages ( http://www.woolartstournh.com/locations/WesternViewFarm.htm , scroll down). I got one of hers, too! Has a lovely PI shawl in her booth, right?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails