Saturday, September 13, 2008

Dyeing........Naturally

I have had lots of fun with synthetic dyes (remember my solar dyeing experiments?). I have dyed in the crock pot, on the stove, in the oven, in the microwave. Some methods were more fun than others and got better results.

I never had much interest in natural dyes. I just couldn't get excited by the colors that I was seeing other people get. Until now. I got bit by the bug. How can you not fall in love with these colors?



Lisa said it best today - it's like you just relax when you see them. They just give you that peaceful feeling. Heidi was nice enough to offer up her house to use and Ellen Stone came and guided us as we experimented with some natural plants and roots.
We dyed with some goldenrod

There was some cochineal

There was also marigolds, indigo, walnut, and madder root. We had pots going all over the place!

I had to leave a bit early but some of our yarn was done before we left.

The pink is the cochineal and the blue is the indigo. I can't wait to see what the rest of them turned out like. I'll find out Wednesday when we meet up again and pick up the skeins we dyed.

1 comment:

Views maker said...

hai,

could be kind enough to explain me how you dye the yarn naturally.

Well I am N.Mayilsamy, From Tirupur, INDIA. I hold a post graduate diploma in Textile management. I am currently work for German Importer. I am very interested in implementing Natural dyeing methods for 100% cotton circular knitted fabric in Tirupur. Tirupur is well know for knitted fabric and synthetic dye cause a lot of pollution here so i want to know about natural dyeing in details to make it possible for knitted fabric. It is for a social cause only. I am looking forward for your help.

Regards,
N.Mayilsamy

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails