Friday, August 15, 2008

Trip to the Vineyard

Me and my good fiber obsessed friend Lisa got up at 5AM Thursday and set off to Martha's Vineyard. The ferry ride over was nice. Very relaxing which resulted in some quality knitting time. We arrived at Vineyard Haven and walked around for a bit. Our goals for the day were to visit Heath Hen which is the yarn/quilt/embroidery shop on the island. Lisa sells handmade buttons and shawl pins (I wish she had a website so you could see - she is so talented it just amazes me) and had an appointment with the sweet owner, Lynn, to show her some items that might sell in her shop. Next goal was to visit MV Fiber Farm (where I bought my CSA share). We also wanted to visit Island Alpacas. Heathhen was the first stop. Nice shop and VERY busy. Her door didn't stop opening. Nice to see a LYS doing well. Lynn bought quite a few items from Lisa (she is preparing for a knitting cruise that has a stop on Martha's Vineyard sometime in October).

Next stop was Island Alpacas because we couldn't get to see Susan at MV Fiber Farm until 3:30. So off to the alpacas it was. Nice farm - lots of alpaca. She had a nice shop that sold knitted items, yarn, roving, alpaca items like magazine, books and the like. I noticed she had a sign saying that she gives lessons as well - knitting and spinning. I also noticed the alpaca facts that listed what you need to raise them. And that got me thinking. I believe my future farm is going to include alpacas. So much that I may consider making it a business. I am still gathering info. Will keep ya updated!

One thing we did not plan on at the Vineyard was the traffic. I see why people ride their bikes. Long story short - we got stuck in traffic and got to MV Fiber Farm too late for the tour. Boo Hoo! I was disappointed but I know I will go back when it is shearing time so I will meet Susan then. Not a big deal.

And in my haste of rushing around there all day - I did not take a single picture. Nope - not one. Bad blogger - I know. You can all smack me now.

I do have a picture of THE sock. I finished one!


You like? I do - but I am not thrilled with the yarn to tell you the truth. I am in love with the color changes. But the thin/thick thing going on. I swear I am afraid to wear these because I think I will wear a hole through the heel the first time out. Anybody else knitted with Noro Sock before????

I am spending the rest of the day working on second sock, reading Hobby Farm Home (they have a great article on natural dyeing), and listening to the Ipod.



Can you see the empty bowl in the background! I made apple shortcake (WW style) and am enjoying that too. Have a great day everyone!

1 comment:

spinning said...

Hi sweetie, thanks so much for all the nice things you said about me. One day when I grow up, I will have a website. Hopefully Karens son will help me.I love the trip to the island as well. you are a great traveling companion. We have only known each other for a short time, but I feel so connected to you. Its so natural. Like a sister from a different mother....errrrr wait, Ive met your mother....she is also just like mine. No wonder...well here I sit sipping coffee, waiting for my great friend to come join me for an excursion to Norwood Ma to Fancy Purls for a delivery. Oh wait...ITS YOU !! Hugs, Lisa.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails