Wednesday, August 13, 2008

It's A Good Thing

The dream that hubby and I have is that when we are nearing retirement we will be able to have our own small hobby farm. Not much - a few chickens for eggs, a couple of sheep (can't imagine what I would need them for????), and a couple of Alpaca (I just have to have them after seeing how sweet they can be this weekend).

We are intrigued with other blogs/magazines/news articles about others who are making this their reality. This week I heard about Susan Gibbs of Martha's Vineyard Fiber Farm. Not only did I hear about her once - I heard from three different sources within days. What she has done is taken the CSA Model - which for those who are not familiar simply means selling part of your crop (in her case, sheep and goat fleece) at the beginning of the year in shares. This has been done at local farms with their vegetables but never been done on a fiber farm. Carole has spoken about this several times on her blog and has been doing it for I think the last two years. I thought this was amazing. Check out her little 6 minute video on You Tube. It explains what she is doing.

I love to support the local farms here. We have a Farmers Market each Saturday and we try to make it every other weekend. If we don't buy from these little local guys they won't be around much longer. If you have a local farm - go buy a few things. They will really appreciate it.

I am trying to make the trip out to Martha's Vineyard tomorrow to visit her. It may have to wait until next week though. Hubby encouraged me to buy a share of her CSA. I did just that yesterday and can't wait to see my sheep! And that's as close as I can come to owning one of those for a few years. It feels great to support Susan and her farm and I am super excited about the roving I will get next year.

Progress on THE sock


I swear it looks like it could fit the jolly green giant. I tried it on and it does fit well. Very deceiving.

Did I share my latest package from Knit Picks?

Amazing - there is no yarn there. Are you proud of me? I got a couple of books, a calendar for next year (which hubby tells me he already had on hold for me for Christmas - oops), and 2 sets of Harmony DP's. Good thing............

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails