Wednesday, January 24, 2007

What do you get

when you combine 8 girlscouts, carders, and a spinning wheel?



Then add a spindle





We discussed the different types of fiber that could be spun, gave them samples of everything I had from alpaca to angora, and they had a blast. They got to do some carding. They each took turns on the wheel - at first one would treadle, another would draft and then they would switch. By the end of the night most of them were able to treadle and draft at the same time. I was amazed how well they did. I even have a couple who want me to order them a spindle and some fiber.

I now have the task of taking all this funky yarn they made and knitting up a hat to be donated to the local childrens hospital. I'm curious to see how this will look.

On my needles - the Trekking socks, which I am still not jumping up and down about. They just seem so big. I tried them on and they really are not. I think that because I usually do 3/1 ribbing all the way down the sock, this pattern (which I am designing as I go along) seems too baggy.


I found a pattern for hubby's Aran Cardigan that he has been asking for. I will start swatching for it tonight and see how I like it. Hopefully pics will follow tomorrow.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails