Wednesday, August 6, 2008

I'm Dyeing for The Sun

I tried my hand at some solar dyeing. I have dyed in the crockpot, on the stove, in the oven - but I never tried solar dyeing. Debbie gave me the idea and I thought I would give it a go. I used some roving I had (and boy do I have lots of that) and my favorite method that I found on Gina's blog.

So I loaded up the pickle jar

and let it cook in the sun. For about 20 minutes. That isn't long enough for solar dyeing to work. But alas, after the 2o minute mark the clouds came over. Then the rain broke out (did I mention that it had been sunny and beautiful all day up until this point?). It rained on and off for the rest of the day.

The next day was sunny, with ocassional clouds. The following day, although it was predicted to be a beautiful beach day, was cloudy. No sun at all. Ya gotta love the weather forecasters up here in New England I tell ya.

I gave up today when it was finally forecast to be raining. I pulled out my roving and rinsed it out. Alot of the green washed out. It definitely needed to cook longer but overall it didn't turn out bad.

I'm kinda liking the autumn color palet going on there.

I will try again - it was so easy! But the weather forecast is for rain for the next 7 days. Oh well.....

2 comments:

Selana said...

even if it is not what you entended to create, I love the results of your dyeing

livnletlrn said...

I haven't gotten into dyeing yet, but it definitely looks like fun experimentation!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails