I hadn't dyed any yarn in a while and I was getting the itch to do it. I didn't feel like digging out all my dyes so I picked up some Kool Aide at the grocery store. For some reason I have been into orange lately - don't ask me why. The first thing (after tying a few extra strands of yarn around the skein for tangle-free security) was soak it in water and vinegar.
I only left it in there for about 30 minutes. Then I put it into a big glass jar along with a couple of packets of orange Kool Aide.
Then I put it on the deck to sit in the sun.
I wasn't sure how long it would take for the dye to soak in. I know last time I had done this with acid dyes it took a couple of days.
However the next morning I found this.
Clear water! Meaning all the color was soaked in (exhausted) and it was finished. I rinsed it in cold water and soaked it in some Kookaburra Soak.
And now we have orange yarn. The color didn't take evenly (which is what I was hoping for) but that's OK. I wanted a "tonal" sort of look. And that's what it should look like when it's knit up. I'm planning on casting on another Brickless. But first I have to get one of the other two shawls off my needles. I seem to have a shawl and sock issue these days.